Thursday, December 08, 2005

Kreitler Rollers - Strange how things evolve....

Seems like just the other day that I bought a set of Kreitler rollers. Actually, my first "recorded" ride on them was September 11th of 2003, it lasted a total of 30 minutes and went for 7.6 miles. I was strategically wedged in the doorway of my closet...As I remember it, I spent as much time holding the door frame as my handlebars and reaching for a drink was totally out of the question. Well, since that day I've been on them another 177 times for 153.35 hours totaling 3,713 miles. (Note: All Stats made possible by my Polar 720i Heart Rate Monitor.)

Anyway, at some point during this 2+ years of riding my rollers off and on, I evolved from thinking I would never leave the comfort of my closet doorway to in recent weeks coming up with the bright idea of going hands free. Don't want to call any friends out by name..."Doc"...but there are those who have requested video proof (Special thanks to my nephew, Scott, for his assistance in "capturing the proof"...please excuse the quality, had to use "nightshot" mode on my digital camera to deal with limited lighting. And last but not least, to my wife Charlene...my apologies for not cleaning the study before shooting the footage!)

7 Comments:

At 9/12/05 08:37, Blogger David Alexander said...

To say that i am impressed by your video would be an understatement.

I'm not sure if it reflects your pure cycling talent or the quality of your handmade in the Colorado Rockies Titanium masterpiece bicycle.

Either way, you have achieved what i have been unable to in probably 20 years of riding rollers.

I am your underling.

p.s. Do you have the Kreitler Killer Headwind attachment? If so, how do you like it? I've only ridden one of those once.

 
At 9/12/05 09:29, Blogger Jeff said...

Can't give the Moots the credit because I ride the Felt on my Rollers. I'm also having a little trouble accepting the "cycling talent" argument...I'm flattered, but know better!

Working on a third theory that my study has a gravitational pull equal to that of the surface of the moon!

Hadn't ever tried the Headwind attachment- I've been tempted but based on the fact that it's more equipment to fold-up and un-fold along with the fact that I've heard some say they're less than impressed with the quality of the unit, I've stayed away.
Might consider going with the 3" drums instead of the 4.5" at some point in the future for more resistance.

 
At 9/12/05 09:31, Blogger Amy Alexander said...

YOU ARE A STUD, JEFF!! Most of us fear the rollers. Not only did you approach them with openness and the can-do attitude that makes you so fun to hang with, but you actually kept track of how many miles you rode on them. I am impressed. (But when I lose this pregnancy weight, I still plan to kick your butt :)

 
At 9/12/05 09:36, Blogger Jeff said...

Eric-
The idea of a California trip at some point sounds wonderful, the thought of trying to keep up with you is a lot less pleasant!

Any chance of you making the Cheaha Challenge on May 7th in Alabama?
I know that's a long way for a one day ride, but...you would get to see the whole crew and it's a hell of a ride...I think "EPIC" is the word we've decided on!

 
At 9/12/05 09:58, Blogger Jeff said...

Amy-
I would normally throw in some good trash talking, but from my conversation with David the other day I understand you're already all stoked and pumped-up about working out again:) It'll be good to have you back! Got the impression from Dave that you were headed straight to Hawaii for the Ironman!

 
At 9/12/05 11:26, Blogger Jeff said...

Usey-
I know you'll be busy next week but lets try to do lunch...be sure and give me a call.

If you're putting those kind of miles on a stationary, you have to make the jump to the real thing and get on the rode....Just do it! I promise you'll like it, especially living in "bike friendly" California!

 
At 17/2/06 09:22, Blogger Chico Cyclist said...

Dude, that is totally awesome! I have been riding rollers for 20+ years and although I can ride no-handed, I am not nearly as smooth as you. Just very steady - great to see. Now, I need to go practice some more!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home